Warning Signs of Suicide
Many of those with thoughts of Self-Harm and Suicide telegraph their intentions beforehand. Here are some of the warning signs:
Verbalizing or talking about:
- Shame, guilt, or regret.
- Wanting to die.
- Feelings of being a burden or detriment to others.
- A sense of inescapable worthlessness
- Extreme feelings of loneliness, emptiness, being trapped, or having no reason to live.
- Extreme emotional or physical pain
Changes in mood and thinking:
- Making plans or researching ways to die.
- Withdrawing from friends and family, saying goodbye, giving away important items, or making a will.
- Taking dangerous, life threatening risks.
- Extreme mood swings
- Eating or sleeping more or less.
- Using drugs and alcohol more often.
When to seek help and guidance:
If you or someone you know is exhibiting any of the behaviors above, it’s best to seek help from a mental health professional. Do not wait for the warning signs to worsen.
Your Life Matters If you are feeling suicidal or in crisis, we strongly urge you to call 911 immediately. You're life is important.